It’s that wonderful time of year again! Leaves are changing, mornings and evenings are cool and crisp. The perfect time of year for some fun fall activities and some new warm up comfort food recipes! We thought we would put together a few local events, tips and recipes to help you get the most out of this beautiful season in Beaverton, OR!
First, the changing weather quickly leads to “cold and flu season”, that dreaded time of year! Kids are back in school sharing more than their crayons, weather changes quickly and we get caught without enough protection, and the busy schedule of work and school can leave healthy eating in the dust. Here are a few quick tips to keep your family safe:
- Dress in layers – things change quickly!
- Wash your hands regularly throughout the day – remind your school age children!
- Get your flu shot
- Eat your veggies! Summer salads may be past, but healthy soups are in! Click HERE for recipes.
Remember to visit our local Beaverton Farmer’s Market for some wonderful local produce for your soups as well as many other local ingrediants to keep you feeling great. They are open select days in October and November.
It is so easy to let the good routines we developed over the summer months slide as the cold busy winter months set in. When exercise is no longer a part of our play time, it can be very challenging. Here are a few little tricks that might keep you in your summer body all the way until spring:
- Try shorter workouts throughout the day, rather than one big one. Easier to fit in to your schedule, and you may find your afternoon performance improves with a brisk lunch time walk or jog.
- Invest in a few new workout DVD’s – sometimes some new moves can get you motivated again.
- Make it a family or friend project – prizes for the most workout time logged per week or month!
- Sign up for an event – Commiting yourself can help keep you on track over the winter months!
Here is a great upcoming event in April of 2016 with distances of 5K, 10K or a half marathon: 2016 Race for the Roses
Sometimes people get down during the winter months, for a variety or reasons. We want to remind you that this is a FUN time of year. Here is a small list of just a few ideas for the upcoming winter months:
- Go to the Corn Maze! Just up the road from Beaverton is the Original Corn Maze.
- Find a new recipes and surprise your friends or family, or take a cooking class!
- Create something; paint, sculpt, draw, whatever makes you happy! Visit a local art studio and find your joy.
There are an endless number of things to do in our Beaverton community in the coming months. We hope this list will help you stay healthy and enjoy it! If we missed one of your favorite tips, feel free to share it in the comments below or on our Facebook page!