About General Dentistry
General dentistry focuses on protecting your oral health and preventing disease or damage. Our Harmony Dental team sees patients of all ages and our goal is always the same: providing high-quality dentistry and customer service. We want all of our patients to have a healthy smile that they love. Our general dentistry services will head off potential problems, such as tooth decay, gum disease, or wear from tooth grinding.
Dr. da Costa treats all of his patients with the quality care he would want to have for himself and his family. As a general dentist, he has the education, training, and hands-on experience that will make you feel confident you’re getting the best care!
Here are some of our general dentistry services:
Our General Dentistry Services
- New Patient Cleanings
Typically, we will provide a cleaning at your first appointment with us. After taking digital x-rays and Dr. da Costa conducts a thorough exam, we will get you started on a great oral hygiene routine by cleaning your teeth. Thereafter, we’ll recommend regular cleaning and hygiene visits to keep your gums and teeth free from disease-causing bacteria. We will be happy to set up a regular dental schedule for you and conveniently remind you when the time for your next cleaning is due.
- Routine Cleanings
Routine cleanings are vital to keeping your teeth and gums disease free. Especially when it comes to your teeth, prevention is the key to protecting your smile. If you don’t control harmful bacteria with proper brushing, flossing, and visiting your dentist biannually, you could get cavities and gum disease. A routine schedule of comfortable and thorough cleanings are the best prevention you can have for guarding against dental issues and ensuring a healthy smile for a lifetime.
- Root Canal Treatment A root canal is one of the best ways to save a severely damaged tooth. When damage or infection to a tooth has progressed from the enamel to the actual tooth pulp, it can often cause pain. With a root canal, Dr. da Costa can remove the pain-causing infection and decay leaving only healthy tooth material behind. Then, the tooth is further strengthened by adding a durable porcelain filling or crown to protect it, allowing you the full use of a healthy tooth again.
- Sealants Sealants are a proven way to protect your teeth from cavities. Sealants are a thin protective layer that is molded over the teeth and can reduce the risk of decay in molars by nearly 80%. Getting sealants for your children adds another layer of protection against tooth decay beyond just brushing and flossing. Just before your child begins attending school is a good time to talk with Dr. da Costa about whether sealants would be a good option for them.
- Sports Mouthguards & Nightguards If your children are involved in sports at school, then protecting their teeth from an accident is very important. A dental sports guard is a custom-created mouthpiece that fits comfortably over the teeth and provides protection against blows or bumps. Especially if your children are old enough to have all of their permanent teeth, protecting them with a mouthguard, created by Dr. da Costa, is vital.
If you grind your teeth (bruxism) at night, a nightguard can help. This custom-created mouthguard is comfortable to wear and can save your teeth from being gradually worn down by nighttime tooth grinding. Talk with our team about this effective option on your next visit!
‘‘We have received wonderful care at Harmony Dental! The people are warm, friendly, gentle, empathetic... the quality of care is highly professional... the space is lovely... it all works!’’
Mary H., Google Review
- What does a general dentist do?
A general dentist is usually your primary care dental provider. They will diagnose, treat, and manage your overall dentistry needs. The services they provide include gum care, root canals, sealants, fillings, crowns, veneers, bridges, and preventative education. Our Beaverton dentist does all of this and more. As both a general and cosmetic dentist, Dr. da Costa can offer you full dental services under one roof.
- How long do sealants last?
Sealants can often last up to 10 years. By having them regularly checked by Dr. da Costa for any chips or wear that we can easily repair, you can help prolong their longevity.
- Why do people grind their teeth?
Sometimes it can be caused by stress and anxiety. However, nighttime grinding is often the result of an abnormal bite or missing or crooked teeth. The best way to find the cause is to have Dr. da Costa examine your teeth and jaws. If missing teeth or TMJ disorder cause it, Dr. da Costa can provide an effective solution.
- Is a root canal painful?
The pain is often caused by the infection present in the tooth, not by the root canal procedure. At Harmony Dental, your comfort before, during, and after a procedure is our highest priority. We offer the latest and most effective means of enjoying pain-free dentistry and have some wonderful amenities, such as television, warm blankets, pillows, music headphones, and aromatherapy to make your visit more comfortable. Want to learn more about root canals in Beaverton, OR? Click here!